Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Abraham's first post

Hello everyone,

My name is Abraham Munoz and I am a senior bioengineering major. I am interested in this class because I have had a family member and personal friend battle with pancreatic and breast cancer and I really want to learn more about these diseases. Pancreatic cancer is one of the most deadly cancers and has one of the highest mortality rates for its patients. Most battles with pancreatic cancer are short lived, and I hope to learn more about why and how pancreatic cancer is so malignant. Breast cancer on the other hand is not always as malignant, but is very prominent in the US population. Every year more and more cases of breast cancer arise, which has lead to the development of better therapies for this disease and I am looking forward to learning about these treatments.

I attached a graph below that illustrates the rise of incidence of breast cancer dependent on age from 2008-2010 in the UK. This shows how significant breast cancer is becoming to our world's populations.