Thursday, April 3, 2014

KP's First Post

My name is KP Bugtong and I am a senior bioengineering major. I chose to take this class because I am very interested in cancer as I did breast cancer research last summer. It was fascinating to learn about the molecular and cellular basis behind a certain type of breast cancer (HER2+) because this type of cancer evolved to become resistant to treatment. Also, there have also been instances of cancer within my family. With this class I hope to gain more knowledge of various types of cancers as well as an overview of different types of cancer treatments.

I'm attaching a picture showing the family of receptors, the HER family.

HER2 breast cancer is a particularly nasty form of cancer because it carries a higher risk of metastasis and a lower survival rate.